On the second floor rotunda is the Gallery of Governors, where portraits of former Michigan governors line the rotunda on the second and third floors. By tradition, each governor selects the artist, pays for the portrait, and donates it to the state after leaving office. When a new portrait is hung in the Gallery, room is made by moving the oldest portrait to another location in the Capitol.
In the east (front) corridor is the Office of the Governor. The Governor's Office and Parlor, among the best-documented and most beautiful rooms in the Capitol, have been carefully restored. Features include original furnishings manufactured by the Feige Brothers Company of Saginaw. Preserved through the efforts of Marie Ferrey, who in 1913 became the first curator of the Michigan Historical Museum, the furnishings are a tribute to Michigan's furniture manufacturing heritage. Pictures hanging on the Parlor walls are of former Michigan governors - reproductions of of the charcoal-enhanced photographs which once hung here.